Located in the “Late-Term Abortion Capital” of the country, University of New Mexico students are daily faced with a community that supports and even encourages abortion. And yet, despite the challenges of this environment, Students for Life UNM have persisted and thrived in their efforts to bring life-affirming, empowering options and resources to women on their campus. The group’s Pregnant on Campus Initiative has been welcomed by the student community and departments on campus, and has repeatedly captured the local media’s attention over the past 3 years.
This past year, Students for Life UNM has hosted numerous events to support pregnant and parenting students, including:
- Valentine’s Day, Share the Love: Passing out as many as 75 roses, pregnancy tests, and PRC information packets
- Mother’s Day “Chari-Tea”: A classy tea party for women and mothers to raise money for their local PRC
- Pregnant and Parenting Student Support Night: A discussion panel to address pregnant and parenting student issues
- Give Back Christmas: Encouraging UNM students to donate to local organizations that support the community
- AND MORE!
This group has been instrumental in helping students choose life and complete their degrees. They helped save 2 babies on campus and at least 10 babies in the local community. They even worked with a local university to help a new student mom graduate a month early, and further celebrated her by hosting a baby shower!
Last but not least, Students for Life UNM is responsible for introducing and passing 5 Student Government resolutions, including:
- Diaper changing stations: To be installed in every building in both genders’ bathrooms
- Mom-to-be Parking: For moms in their 3rd trimester
- Parental Leave for New Student Parents: For both mom and dad!
- “Family Friendly” Student Study Lounge
- Equal Access to Options: Adding life-affirming resources to their school website
This group is an incredible testament to the compassionate and effective outreach of the Pregnant on Campus Initiative. We are proud to honor UNM Students for Life as our 2017 Pregnant on Campus Group of the Year!
This post was contributed by Beth Rahal, Pregnant on Campus Director. To get your student group involved in our Initiative, please contact your SFLA Regional Coordinator.